When a Veteran dies. Below is a Information checklist to the spouse or family member:

1. Contact your funeral director for your choice of interment. Please tell them if you want a Military Funeral. The family’s request is needed by the funeral home to honor your wishes. If you are a Colville Tribal member, contact the Tribal Veteran’s Office at (509)634-2756 and the Tribal Enrollment Office at (509)634-2830.

2. Contact your Clergy to make arrangements for the services you desire.

3. Provide the funeral director with a copy of the Veteran’s Discharge Record (DD-214), VA Claim number (if known) and Veteran’s social security number.

4. The funeral director will apply to the Department of Military Affairs for the amount allowable toward the burial expenses. Also, the allowable amount from Social Security for burial.

5. The funeral director will apply to the Department of Military Affairs for the American flag to drape over the casket or Urn.

6. If the Veteran is a member of a Veteran’s Organization, contact the post commander to inquire about the post providing Military Services, Firing detail, bugler and pallbearers, of needed.

7. If the Veteran had GI Insurance, contact the county Veteran Service Officer for assistance in completing the insurance forms. If the Veteran had commercial insurance, contact the agent for that particular company which insured the Veteran.

8. The spouse should contact the social security office to file for benefits that may be available to her or him and for any dependent children.

9. The county Veteran Service Office will assist the spouse and children in obtaining any benefits to which they may be entitled, such as: survivor’s death benefits from the VA, or a headstone if burial is in a private cemetery. Provide the county Veterans Service Office with the following items when applying for benefits;

•A copy of the Veteran’s discharge and service record (DD-214)

•The Veteran’s VA claim number, if there is one

•Social security number of the Veteran, Spouse and dependent children.

•GI Insurance policies, if any

•Information regarding marriage, births, birthdays, and if any prior marriages existed; the information regarding when, and how dissolved (death/divorce).

•A copy of the death certificate of the Veteran.

Nativeteran is a 501 © (3) tax-exempt, non-profit organization and provides Military eulogies upon request. For more information, contact Arnie Holt at (509) 633-3140 or (360) 600-8671

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.